9hrs and two very sore legs

After several months of walking up and down the East Sussex coast in preparation, the Moonwalk finally came around on Saturday night. It was a slightly weird feeling travelling up to London on the train with my Rio Barbie bra   carefully covered for the big reveal in Hyde Park. I say carefully as the last thing I wanted was to take off my T-shirt and find that one of my nipple tassels had got damaged and was beyond repair before the  big off. BUT everything survived intact and having carefully packed my bum bag with space blanket, folded rain mac, lip balm, tissues, fingerless gloves and jelly babies for emergencies we eventually got walking just after midnight.

In the main tent waiting for the big off. NOT the place to be if you don’t like pink
Highlight of the main tent ~ Roy doing his warm ups

I’d love to say that we proudly tramped the streets with the bling from our bras beaming in the moonlight but the truth of the matter is it was cold….. FREEZING cold! Thankfully I listened to  my inner voice that told me to hold on to my hooded top and fleece bodywarmer. Not very glam I’ll admit but this toasty combination kept out the chill whilst I spent the first 12 miles thinking ‘are we halfway there yet’ and ‘why didn’t I sign up for the half moon’ ( the 13 mile option). To be honest I felt that I’d done enough training before I started but at the 12 mile mark  I couldn’t see myself getting to the finish line. I was tired, nausea had set in and my head was beginning to hurt ~ it was also dark. But I wasn’t alone and we were all walking to raise money for an important cause so I kept putting one foot in front of another, I didn’t need to get there fast, I just had to get there.

The next few miles seemed to go by effortlessly as the sun came up over London and just a glint of daylight helped to pick up the pace.

04.55 Sunrise from Albert Bridge

But at around 18 miles I had to resort to painkillers (courtesy of Fiona) as my hips began to scream. Given that I have the flattest feet known to man I’d expected my feet to be more painful but both hips were agony at this point and with 8.2 miles still to go, drugs were the only way to cope.  By the time we hit the 20 mile marker the sun shining bright and I knew 2 things for sure;

1.  I was going to see the finish line and

2. There was a hot bath full of bubbles and a cold glass of cava waiting for me back in Brighton.

I’m proud (and slightly amazed) to say that we eventually crossed the line at 9.12 am. 9 hrs and two very sore legs later although I probably wouldn’t do it again I definitely think it was worth it.


2 thoughts on “9hrs and two very sore legs

Leave a Reply to Jill S Cancel reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s